Vinicunca Trek to The Rainbow Mountain
Trekking 2 days
Trekking Vinicunca "The Rainbow Mountain" in Cuzco - Peru
Vinucunca or the colorful mountain, from high above, its geological formations reveal all their splendour, in a contrast with the blue sky forming a formidable barrier enters the coastal desert and the Amazonian jungle, imposing cordillera Vilcanota counts almost as many glaciers as the White Cordillera.
Located at the south of Cusco and dominated by Ausangate (6384 m), this moved back area always remained isolated from the external influences and knew to keep intact much customs and habits of the pre-colonial period.
Trekking to Vinicunca The Rainbow Mountain 2 days
Begin from: Cusco / Vinicunca Moutain
End in: Vinicunca Moutain / Cusco
Duration: 02 Days/ 01 Night
Physical Rating: Moderate
Accommodation: Tourist Class
Vinicunca Trek Day 1: Cusco – Urcos – Quesiuno – Llamachimpana
We will pick you up early from your Cusco hotel and set out on a drive through the South Valley. The drive to the trailhead at Quesiuno (4,326 m / 14,189 ft) is 3 hours long. Once we reach the Inkintuyoc bridge, our chef will cook us an amazing breakfast.
After breakfast, we will load all the gear on the horses and begin our hike uphill. Following a lovely stream, you will be immediately surprised by the literally herds of alpacas and llamas. We will have consistent views of the Ausangate Mountain. We will hike through villages and interact with the local residents. We have the opportunity to see chinchillas and vicunas. Vicunas are the only non-domesticated animal of the llama family in Peru.
After at hike of 3 to 4 hours, we will reach our camp Ccayrabiri, near the village of Llamachimpana. Our chef will make us a fantastic lunch when we arrive. After lunch (time permitting), we will go to the village and have the chance to interact with the residents. They will tell us about their local customs and love to share their history with trekkers. They will tell us about the fields of potatoes that surround the area.
We then return to camp where we will have happy hour and dinner. When night falls, we will have a serene
night´s sleep under the stars.
Meals: Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner + snacks
Lowest Elevation: 4,326 m / 14,189 ft
Highest Elevation: 4,598 m / 15,082 ft
Distance to walk: 4 km / 2 ½ miles
Approximate walking time: 3 to 4 hours
Level of Difficulty: Challenging
Vinicunca Trek Day 2: Llamachimpana – Vinicunca – Quesiuno – Cusco
We wake up to a cup of hot coca tea and the gorgeous sunrise. Our chef will prepare an amazing breakfast to start the day. Our destination today is the Rainbow Mountain. This is a two hour uphill hike. On the way up, we will have consistent views of stunning red mountains, the Ausangate glacier and Surine Mountain. Finally, we reach our destination, what we came to see….the Rainbow Mountains (5,020 m / 16,466 ft). After getting over the shock of their beauty, we will have time to explore the area. We will have time to take pictures and soak in the environment. We will spend approximately 30 minutes at the top.
At this point, it is time to go back down. We hike downhill the way we came. The hike will take 4 to 5
hours. Our chef will be waiting for us at the bottom with a hearty lunch. Following lunch, we will embark on the 3 hour drive back to Cusco and drop you off at your Cusco hotel. Approximate arrival time is 7 PM.
Meals: Breakfast/Lunch + snacks
Lowest Elevation: 4,326 m / 14,189 ft
Highest Elevation: 5,020 m / 16,466 ft
Distance to walk: Uphill: 3.5 km / 2 miles; Downhill 7 km / 4 ½ miles
Approximate walking time: 2 hours up; 4 to 5 hours down
Level of Difficulty: Difficult
VINICUNCA TREK INCLUDED:
• Pre-Departure Briefing at your hotel 1 or 2 days before your trek.
• Bilingual English speaking tour guide (additional tour guide for groups of nine people or more)
• Pick up from your hotel and transportation to Quesiuno and return transportation with hotel drop off
• Four-person tent for every 2 people.
• Inflatable Mattress and pillow
• Kitchen tent
• Dining tent with tables and chairs
• Toilet tent and portable toilet
• Professional Chef and assistant chef
• Wranglers and horses to carry all the equipment (food, tents, chairs, table, etc)
• Horse to transport 8 kg of your personal gear
• Duffle bag for your personal gear
• Two breakfasts, two lunches and one dinner
• Hot water for washing
• Boiled and cold water to fill the water bottles.
• Emergency oxygen bottle and medical kit.
VINICUNCA TREK NOT INCLUDED:
• First breakfast
• Last Lunch
• Sleeping bag (you can rent one from us)
• Trekking poles (you can rent them from us)
• Tips for the crew (guide, chef, wranglers)
• Travel /Health / Emergency insurance
YOU SHOULD BRING:
• Small backpack or daypack, well fitted trekking boots
• Water bottle, flashlight hat, sunglasses, bug spray, sunscreen
• Warm and Light clothing, rain coat or plastic poncho
• Chocolates, cookies, dry fruits, snack
• Extra Money (local currency and lots of coins)
• Original passport
• Clothes (warm/winter jacket, rain pants, hiking boots, poncho, winter hat, gloves)
IMPORTANT: To go on the VINICUNCA trek, you must be in good physical condition, and we recommend a preliminary 2 days acclimatization stage, for your body to react better during the trek, as we will be in hiking up to high passes at altitudes of about 5,100 meters, and it also is important to drink plenty of Muña tea /or coca leaf tea.